Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mascara: My Personal Review

I have been asked countless times over the past year what natural makeup brand I prefer.  Honestly, I'm a line switcher.  I have found that I like colors and products from various lines.

My personal, cannot-leave-the-house-without cosmetic accessory is mascara. (This is because I have dark hair and almost blonde lashes, and, well, it's just plain weird looking to me.)

Natural mascara is usually more expensive than pharmacy-store brands, and it's shelf life is between 3-6 months.  There is no such thing as waterproof natural mascara that I know of, but, for me, waterproof mascara has never been high on my priority list.  I am going to score the products from 1-5 with 5 being awesome.

1. Mineral Fusion Lengthening Mascara:  This mascara is sold at most health food stores in the DFW area.  I find this product to be more thickening than lengthening.  It does the job, and I can get a pretty thick look fairly quickly.  The downside to this product is that it dries out fast.  Mine lasted about two months.  I expect more from my mascara.  Also, the ingredient list raises my eyebrow with things like Propylene Glycol Stearate and Propylene Glycol Laurate/Stearate.  Score: 2

2. DeVita's Absolute Lengths Mascara: I had to order this puppy from Arizona.  The ingredient list is fantastic!  It coats every lash, and it really does lengthen and separate   It is beautiful and light-weight.  My only issue with this mascara is the wand is IMPOSSIBLE to get back into the tube.  Once they fix that kink, DeVita will have a great product.
Score: 3

3. Gabriel's Mascara: This product also has a marvelous ingredient list.  It is vegan, and gives a great natural look.  You can't get super thick spider lashes with this guy, but if you have sensitive eyes: give it a go.  I used this product after I had a horrible reaction to fake eyelash glue (my one and only attempt at that mess) and it did not irritate or burn my sensitive peepers.
Score: 4

4. Dr. Hauschka's Volume Mascara: My fav.  I am wearing this one right now.  Dr. Hauschka is a holistic company from Germany, but you can find their line at many Whole Foods Markets in DFW.  I am a huge fan of this mascara because it lasts for 6 months without drying out, thickens, and stregthens my lashes.  The ingredients include silk powder and the fragrance is from essential oils.
Score: 5

Disclaimer: when I do skin care demonstrations I work with skin care only.  I don't usually demonstrate makeup (though I have once before, and might again in the future), and I currently am not paid by any company to work with cosmetics.  This review is my opinion based on what I have tried on my own little eyelashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment