Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Community Gardening

My big move back to the city last year definitely has it's perks. We are close to jobs, schools, restaurants... you know, handy stuff.  I most assuredly enjoy a 5 to 10 minute drive to the spa.

There is something missing.  I really want a vegetable garden.  Currently we live in a (pretty large) historical apartment.  I love our spot near the lake and all our wonderful neighbors.  We do have a few potted plants in our courtyard.  I brought our lemon thyme and lavender when we moved, and some cyclamen, rosemary and pansies have joined us since.  Sadly, the joy of growing veggies is missing.

I recently finished a wonderful book called "Farmacology" by Daphne Miller, MD.   I cannot recommend this book enough.  There is a chapter about community gardening in The Bronx, New York.  People found that taking bare plots of land and creating community gardens helped not only bring the community together and brighten the neighborhood, but the sharing of the vegetable bounty helped improve the health of the people.  (There is a whole section on the long-term benefits of gardening on health and healthy aging that is fascinating.)  Also, kids are more likely to eat vegetables and develop healthy eating habits if they have a hand in growing their food.  As a mom, I am all for my kid loving veggies.  I wish we could garden here...

Like a bolt of lightening, I thought, well surely there are community gardens here in Dallas.  There are!  Today I am checking out the open plots at the Promise Of Peace Community Garden and I have emailed the Gardeners in Community Development about possible plots and volunteer options.  Hopefully Evie and I will be getting ready to plant some veggies and meet other Dallas gardeners.

What in the world does this have to do with healthy skin?  EVERYTHING.  You are what you eat, and getting fresh food, especially veggies, into your belly can help with a whole range of skin issues.  Contact with nature and community can greatly reduce stress, another major contributor to major skin problems.  I am so excited to start this wondrous adventure, and will be back to share our experience with you.

-- Did I mention that I am going to also be growing aromatic plants up in McKinney this spring and fall?  Purchasing a copper distiller and delving into the world of distilling plant waters, aka hydrosols?  That these plant waters are possibly one of the most amazing natural substances you can use on your skin?  Did I mention that?  No?  Much more on that front (including photos) coming soon!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment